A Rare Glimpse

Friday, February 24, 2006

Reading Week already?!

Wow, time sure flies by when labs and midterms are around the corner. Hmm...what's been happening lately...my housemate invited a bunch of girls over for brunch a few Sundays back. That was fun, to catch up with some of the girls and also make pancakes & bacon for them. Someone brought sweetbread as well as a custard/pudding dish...I was so stuffed with food...but homemade food is made with love, making it all the more tantalizing! A couple rounds of Dutch Blitz afterwards ended the relaxing afternoon nicely. That's what every Sunday should be like, relaxed and leisurely, with friends, food, and games. :)

Valentine's was just another Valentine's...nothing big for me except the annoying commercials and advertising! I was feeling a little left out, since my housemate, and my best friend were both doing things with their guy. Well, I wasn't going to let the day depress me! If I can make at least one other person happy, that would make me happy. If that energy of love can't be focused on a significant other, then it might as well be somebody. I ended up getting my three coworkers chocolate that I knew they'd like (they're addicted to chocolate, esp. my boss). It was so much fun to see the look on their faces. There was chocolate for my housemate and also for AF. Although I have to admit, I did get a little something from AF (thank you for thinking of me!) and a cute Strawberry Shortcake valentine card from my toy-crazy graphic designer coworker. Later on, while I was walking down Princess just outside Tara Natural Foods, a lady was begging for change. I didn't have any change, but I remembered the Food Basics gift certificates I had bought and so I gave her $10 worth. I gave her a hug and she was so gracious, that made my day!

On Thursday, I went home for a few days of my reading week. My housemate dropped me off in Whitby before heading up north for her hometown and I took the Go Train the rest of the way into TO. It was such a fun trip, even though it was only ~45 minutes. Some things, esp. new experiences, can be easily amusing for me, he he. I haven't been on a train since....I can't even remember....elementary school? Anyway, what made the trip most memorable was the fact that the train pulls up right alongside Lake Ontario for a significant part of the route. That day was a rainy, windy day, which is dreary, but so exciting to watch the waves crashing onto shore while dry and warm on a train!

Saturday was the annual ski trip with my friends. Super cold and windy, which meant wind-burn on my face, as well as frozen toes and fingers on the trips up the hill in the lift. I had to stop into the chalet more often than I had planned to. No broken bones this year, which is a relief. Several bad bruises though, as I fell many times trying out the harder hills...I even gave a black diamond run a try! I think MC did a better job of trying to keep her technique on that black diamond...me, I just basically rolled down most of the hill. He he. And the most embarrassing/hilarious moment? (well, I think probably more embarrassing for the other person...) One of the guys who tried out a black diamond/double black diamond hill couldn't stop because he was going too fast, so fast that he skiied practically all the way towards the ski lifts, where a bunch of us were waiting; I was facing the group, with my back to the hill, and was the lucky one to have him ski right into me from behind. I didn't even know what hit me until my feet and skis were knocked out from under me and I was sitting on top of him and his skis.

Needless to say, the next morning, I was bruised and sore from 6 hours of skiing. But it was good times catching up with the TO crew, definitely worth the pain. Now where are all the pictures people took??